Scare It Up Suffield - Scarecrow Contest
This program is currently unavailable. Click here to view all of our current programs.
It's a FREE Scarecrow Contest
Come join us for our Scare-It-Up Party at the Suffield Senior Center.
Party open to both Suffield Residents and Non-Residents.
Everyone is welcome!
Activities include face painting, spooky arts & crafts, light refreshments, music and more. The winning scarecrows will be announced at Noon on Saturday October 20.
Register by Tuesday, October 16 at Noon to enter and create a scarecrow for the Scarecrow Contest. Individuals, families, organizations and businesses are welcome to make a scarecrow.
Once registered, scarecrows need to be set up between Friday, October 19 or 10:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 20 in front of the Suffield Senior Center.
Scarecrows will be on display through Thursday, November 1. Pick up Scarecrow by Sunday, November 4.
Gift Card Prizes will be awarded for the Most Creative, Funniest, Prettiest, Spirit of Suffield, Youth Award (ages 12 & younger), Teen Award (ages 13 - 18), and People’s Choice. The decision of the judges is final.
Saturday, October 20, 10:00 a.m. – Complete Scarecrow assembly.
10:00 a.m. - Welcome everyone for cider and donuts, Halloween & Fall Arts & Crafts.
10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. - Spooky Arts & Crafts
10:00 a.m. – Noon - Fang-tastic Face Painting
10:00 a.m. – Noon - Pick your favorite scarecrow
10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.- Boo-tiful Balloon Twister
10:30 a.m - 11:30 a.m. - Spooktacukar Animal show with Animal Embassy
11:30 a.m. - Officials judge Scarecrows
Noon – Scarecrow Awards
HALLOWEEN COSTUMES ARE ENCOURAGED!
*Event sponsored by the collaborative efforts of The Suffield Parks and Recreation Department, Kent Memorial Library, Suffield Senior Center & Mini Bus and Suffield Youth Services.
SUFFIELD RESIDENTS ONLY MAY ENTER SCARECROW CONTEST.
Scare-It-Up Suffield Scarecrow Contest Registration Information
- Registration is FREE!
- Only Suffield Residents (individuals or groups) and businesses may enter the contest .
- Submit an on-line entry by Noon on Tuesday, October 16, 2018.
- Receive plot number for scarecrow plot at the Senior Center Thursday, October 18.
- Set up fully assembled scarecrow on Friday, October 19 or Saturday, October 20 by 10:00 a.m.
- Keep scarecrow on display until Thursday, November 1. Pick up scarecrow by Sunday, November 4.
Scare-It-Up Suffield Scarecrow Contest Schedule
- Saturday, October 20, 10:00 a.m. – Complete Scarecrow assembly.
- 10:00 a.m. - Welcome everyone for cider and donuts, Halloween & Fall Arts & Crafts.
- 10:00 a.m. -1:00 p.m. - Spooky Arts & Crafts
- 10:00 a.m. – Noon - Fang-tastic Face Painting
- 10:00 a.m. – Noon - Pick your favorite scarecrow
- 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.- Boo-tiful Balloon Twister
- 10:30 a.m - 11:30 a.m. - Spooktacukar Animal show with Animal Embassy
- 11:30 a.m. - Officials judge Scarecrows
- Noon – Scarecrow Awards
- HALLOWEEN COSTUMES ARE ENCOURAGED!
Scare-It-Up Suffield Scarecrow Rules
- Each entry must be able to stand or sit on its own tied to a chair or a pole/ wooden stake which is pounded securely in the ground. Do not drive nails into trees.
- Scarecrows should be sturdy enough to withstand normal weather conditions. If stuffed, scarecrow should be firmly packed. Scarecrows and props must fit into a 4 x 4 foot area. If you choose to bring fresh vegetables or fruits, bring them whole & uncarved. Please replenish if they become spoiled. You are welcome to visit your scarecrow and keep it in good presentable condition. Store-bought masks are not allowed.
- No tiki torches or flammable objects allowed.
- As part of your display, be sure to make a sign, no larger than 11” x 17” with the name of your entry. Please do not put your name on the sign. No political, religious statements, or advertising are allowed. After judging we will post a sign listing the scarecrows and their makers.
- This is a family event. Scarecrows should not be gory, violent or extremely scary. The event organizers reserve the right to remove any entry that does not comply with the rules.
- The decision of the judges is final. Gift Card prizes will be awarded for: Most Creative, Funniest, Prettiest, Spirit of Suffield, People’s Choice, Youth Award (ages 12 & younger, Minimal Adult Help), Teen Award (ages 13-18, Minimal Adult Help).
- Scarecrows will be on display at the Suffield Senior Center until Thursday, November 1. Scarecrows must be picked up by Sunday, November 4.